Laptops that come from HP are really very good in matters of security. Therefore, the Basic Input/Output System or BIOS is protected by a password. Now, when you try to access the BIOS, a popup will come up that asks to input the BIOS password.
If you cannot remember this password, then there is no chance for you to alter the BIOS settings. To overcome this kind of situation, you need to know how to bypass BIOS password on HP laptop.
Read this article fully to get the proper guidelines to know the process of bypassing the BIOS password on an HP laptop.
Steps to Bypass BIOS Password on HP Laptop
In this section of the article, there will be various methods that will guide you on the process of bypassing BIOS password on HP laptop.
Method 1: Take Out the CMOS Battery
To reset the BIOS password on an HP laptop, the best solution that you have is to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for some time and reset it. Here is the process on how to do it.
- First, shut down the laptop and then take out the battery and the power adapter from the wall socket.
- After that, open the back panel to access the motherboard of the device and locate the CMOS battery on it.
- Next, pull the CMOS battery carefully from the motherboard to remove it and wait for ten to fifteen minutes so that the CMOS settings and the password gets removed.
- Now, once the time is up, then connect the CMOS battery properly by pushing it into the holder.
- Then, close the back panel of the laptop properly. Next put the battery of the laptop in its correct place and then power up the device.
- Finally, try to enter into the BIOS by continuously tapping the ‘Delete’ or ‘F12’ button.
Method 2: Use the “DEBUG” Command to Bypass the BIOS Password
In this subsection, there will some steps which will give you guidance on the HP BIOS reset procedure by utilizing the ‘Command Prompt’ application on Windows. In order to carry out this process correctly, follow the steps provided underneath.
- First, open the computer and let it boot normally to Windows Operating System.
- After that, press the two keys ‘Windows + R’ simultaneously, to launch the ‘Run’ dialog box. Next, within that dialog box beside the ‘Open:’ label, write the text “command prompt” on the empty area. Then, click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, a new window having the title ‘Command Prompt’ with a white text and black colored background will show up.
- Next, within that window, write the command “DEBUG” and then tap on the ‘Enter’ key to execute.
- Immediately after the command executes, type in these commands one after another – “O 70 2e”, “0 71 ff”, “Q” without the quotes. Press the ‘Enter” key after each of those commands for their execution.
- Once the execution of all the commands is over, quit from the ‘Command Prompt’ window.
- Finally, restart the computer and try to enter into the ‘BIOS’.
Method 3: Use the HP Configuration Utility to Reset the CMOS Password
Here, in this subsection, there will be various steps which will provide you with the ways to utilize the HP BIOS configuration utility. Follow the steps below in order to achieve it.
- First, open the web browser and visit the official HP website. Next, search for the “HP BIOS Configuration Utility” and then download the setup file of the same.
- After the download process of the BIOS Configuration Utility is complete, double-click on the setup file and execute it.
- This action will launch the installer of the utility. Follow the information that comes up on the screen and accordingly press the ‘Install’ button.
- After the installation of the BIOS Configuration Utility gets over, note the installation folder of this program.
- Now, launch the ‘Command Prompt’ window. Then, from that application, navigate to the installation folder of this application. For that, type in the following command “cd \program files (x86)\hp\bios configuration utility”.
- Now, write the following command to get rid of the BIOS password – “biosconfigutility.exe /newsetuppassword:’’. Next, press the ‘Enter’ to run this command. When this command runs in a correct way, a message will come up ‘Successfully modified Setup Password’.
- Finally, close the ‘Command Prompt’ window and restart the system.
Method 4: Utilize the Master Password
This is the subsection that will aid you on the process of how to use the master password from a reliable webpage. The steps are given below.
- First, start the HP laptop and then tap on either the ‘Delete’ or ‘F12’ keys to get into the BIOS Setup page.
- When you get a prompt to enter the BIOS password, enter incorrect ones for three times. This action will immediately give a ‘System Disabled’ message and code. Then, note down that code from the message
- Now, go to another computer and open a web browser. In it, type in the reliable website name, where the general master password is present and then tap ‘Enter’.
- After that, on the website, type in the number on the empty area ‘Enter your code’, that you have copied earlier. Next, press the ‘Get Password’ button.
- Finally, start the HP laptop that has been locked and then input the password that you have copied from the reliable website. This will clear or reset the BIOS password.
In order to know how to bypass BIOS password on HP laptop, you will have to follow all the methods given in this article carefully and minutely. But, if even after following every step, you are unable to reset the BIOS password on your HP laptop, then do not worry a bit.
Just provide all the details of your query on the comment section below and get an instant fix from a professional.