HP ProtectTools is a preinstalled business security software on HP computers. It runs continuously in the background while the system is on. And, controls the Smart Card operations along with the computer access and configuration.
HP ProtectTools eats up a lot of storage and thus, the system becomes slow. At times, the PC works abnormally too. For this reason, you may like to uninstall HP ProtectTools.
If you are wondering how to uninstall HP ProtectTools, then look no further. This article will help you with the steps. So, let’s start.
How to Uninstall HP ProtectTools Security Manager?
There are 3 steps you need to follow. These are as follows:
Step 1: Stop HP ProtectTools
Firstly, you need to ensure that the HP ProtectTools is not running on your PC. And for that purpose, use the Task Manager window.
- Login into the Administrator account of your PC.
- Next, tap the Windows button along with the letter R. This will get you the Run dialogue box.
- After that, ensure that no command is present inside the Run box.
- In the box, type taskmgr.exe.
- Then, click on OK or hit the Enter button. This will open the Task Manager window.
- Now, under the Task Manager window, go to the Processes tab.
- Under the Processes tab, locate HP ProtectTools and click on it.
- After that, click on the End Process button from the Task Manager window.
Step 2: Open Control Panel
After ensuring that the HP ProtectTools Security Manager is not running in your computer, open Control Panel.
There are different ways you can open the Control Panel window. Follow the way which you find convenient.
Way 1: Press down both the Windows and the R keys to open Run box. Next, inside the box, type control. After that, tap the Enter button.
Way 2: Tap the Windows button to open the search bar. Then, in the search bar, type control. Next, from the search results, click on the Control Panel option.
Step 3: Uninstall HP ProtectTools Security Manager
Now, check the View by section of the Control Panel window. Set it as Category.
Next, under the Control Panel window, click on Programs> Programs and Features. Now, you will get a window that contains all the installed programs. Now, from the list, locate the HP ProtectTools Security Manager option.
Right-click on HP ProtectTools Security Manager and then from the menu window select Uninstall. Again, click on the Uninstall button to confirm. After uninstalling the HP ProtectTools Security Manager, restart your PC.
If this method fails, then we have an alternative for you.
Alternative Method to Uninstall HP ProtectTools
You can uninstall this tool by restoring your system. To remove HP ProtectTools utilizing the System Restore feature on Windows, follow these steps:
- At first, close all the files and programs which are running on your PC.
- After that, tap on the Windows button to open the Start menu.
- From the left window, right-click on the Computer option. Then, select Properties. This will open the System section.
- Further, click on “System protection” from the left panel.
- Next, from the System Protection window, click on the “System Restore” button.
- After that, under the System Restore window, enable the checkbox for “Choose a different restore point”.
- Then, click on the Next button to continue.
- Now, from the available list of Restore points, select the date and time in which you want.
- After that, click on the Next button. This will navigate you to the “Confirm your restore point” message after a few minutes.
- Then, click on Finish>Yes, to confirm.
Both these are useful to uninstall HP ProtectTools. Hopefully, after studying this article, you will not face any issue in following the steps.
However, it is better to follow the first method. But if you get stuck with any problem, then seek help from tech support professionals.