HP laptop touchpad not working is one of the most common problems that most of the HP users have encountered on their system. This issue generally occurs when you have not updated the touchpad driver for a long time. Sometimes, it also occurs if the touchpad feature is turned off on your HP laptop. Sometimes, if the touchpad driver is damaged or corrupted, then this error message appears on the system. Many Windows users have reported that they are unable to work with this problem. However, they do not know how to fix touchpad on HP laptop. If you are also encountering this problem on your HP laptop, then this article will benefit you. In this article, we are going to provide some easy and effective procedures that should help you to eliminate this particular problem. After performing these procedures, you can instantly resolve this issue.
Different Procedures to Get Rid of the HP Laptop Touchpad Not Working Issue:
If you want to know how to fix touchpad on HP laptop, then read this article thoroughly. In the section below, you will see all the procedures to get rid of the HP laptop touchpad not working problem. Apply them accordingly in the given order until you get the problem resolved.
Procedure 1 – Uninstall the HP Touchpad Driver and Install It Again
Due to the corrupted or damaged HP touchpad driver also you might get this issue on your laptop. So, you need to uninstall the touchpad driver and install it again correctly. Follow the instructions which are mentioned below to perform the action:
- At first, you should hold the Windows button and press the X key to open the WinX Menu list.
- From that list, you can see the Device Manager application, select it.
- In the Device Manager window, navigate to the left side panel and right-click on the Touchpad driver to launch the menu list.
- From that list, click on the Remove Device option to uninstall it.
- Once the driver is removed, again install it on your PC. To install the driver, you have to open the Device Manager application.
- From that window, move the cursor to the Action Menu, click on it to open the list.
- In the menu list, you can see the Scan for Hardware changes button, click on it to install the driver.
Once you are done with the steps, restart the system and then check whether the problem is still present or not.
Procedure 2 – Update the HP Touchpad Driver
If you are using the older version of the HP laptop touchpad driver, then you can see the HP laptop touchpad not working problem on the system. So, you have to update the HP touchpad driver. To fix this issue, follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows Home button and R key to open the Run window.
- From the Run window, type Device Manager and then select the OK button or hit the Enter key.
- Once the Device Manager window opens, navigate to the left side menu list and find the HP touchpad driver. Now, right-click on it to launch the Menu list. After that, you can choose the Properties option.
- In the Properties window, you need to take the mouse to the Driver tab, select it and then click on the Update Driver button to begin the update.
Once the update process completes, reboot the system and then check if the HP touchpad works correctly without occurring any error message.
Procedure 3 – Update the Latest Version of the Operating System
By updating the Operating System, you can resolve this problem on your PC. An outdated version of the Operating System can cause the HP laptop touchpad not working issue on the system. So, you must keep your PC up-to-date. To do so, follow these directions carefully:
- You have to hold the Windows key and at the same time press the I key together to launch the Settings application.
- When the Settings application opens, double-click on the Update and Security section.
- From the Update and Security window, you need to navigate to the Update tab on the left side menu list.
- In the Update tab, you will see a Check for updates option, click on it to check whether there are any updates or not.
- If it shows up any updates, then you will get an Update button, click on it. Now, you can see that the update process has begun.
After completing the update process, the HP laptop will restart and then check if the HP laptop works perfectly or not.
Procedure 4 – Turn On the HP Touchpad Feature from the Settings
By turning on the Touchpad feature, you can eliminate this problem on the system. To turn it on, follow the under mentioned steps:
- Firstly, you need to hold the Windows button and press the I key to launch the Settings application.
- You will select the Devices section from the Settings application.
- When the Devices section opens, go to the left side panel and select the Touchpad tab.
- In that section, you can move the toggle off to on to enable the touchpad feature and then check whether the HP touchpad is turned on or not.
Procedure 5 – Turn On the Touchpad in Mouse Properties
You can also fix the HP laptop touchpad not working problem on the system by turning on the Touchpad feature in the Mouse properties. Follow these steps to do so:
- Press the Win + S buttons to open the Search Panel.
- Type Settings in the Search box and then hit the Enter button.
- When the Settings application opens, select the Devices section and then click on the Touchpad tab on the left-side menu list.
- From the Touchpad tab, select the Additional mouse options button.
- Now, you will see that the Mouse properties window will show up. In the Properties window, move the cursor to the Device settings, select it. After that, you can choose the Touchpad driver and then select the Enable button to turn it on.
- After doing this, click on the OK button to save it. Then restart the HP laptop and check whether the issue is fixed or not. If you are unable to fix this issue, then you can try another one.
Procedure 6 – Troubleshoot the Hardware Issue
After performing the above-mentioned procedures, if the problem still shows up, then you should use this procedure to fix this problem. The steps to perform this method are provided below:
- Press the Windows key and along with the X key to launch the WinX menu list. Then choose the Control Panel application.
- Once the Control Panel window opens, double-click on the Troubleshooting section.
- In the Troubleshooting window, find the Hardware and Sound link, click on it.
- When the Hardware and Sound window opens, select the Next button. Now, you can see that the Wizard page displays on the screen. Then, go through the instructions popping up on screen to execute the troubleshooting process.
- Once the process gets finished, reboot the system and then check if the HP laptop Touchpad issue is solved or not.
Procedure 7 – Perform a Clean Boot
An alternative procedure that we have shared to troubleshoot the HP laptop touchpad not working issue on the system is to perform a clean boot. To perform this procedure, follow these steps:
- Open the Run box by pressing the Windows key and R button simultaneously.
- When the Run window opens, type msconfig and then press the Enter key or click on the OK button.
- When the System Configuration window opens, take the mouse to the Services tab, click on it. After that, tick on the Hide all Microsoft services option. Further, select the OK button to change the settings.
Now, you have got all the information regarding the HP laptop touchpad not working issue. Try these procedures one-by-one and perform the steps on your computer to fix this problem as soon as possible. Unfortunately, if you fail to perform any of the steps discussed above or the issue still persists, then come in contact with a professional to resolve this issue without any hassle.